[menog] PON

Fahad AlShirawi fahad at 2connectbahrain.com
Mon Aug 13 06:09:01 GMT 2007

Actually, so far we've seen a lot of value in it. And it's not just for the
home, though that's seeming to have value too. Basically, we're using PON to
deliver metro Ethernet for corporate at 'VERY' high bandwidths relative to
their previous experiences in the GCC. Also, for some of our high end
clients, we have a project division that has installed PON to the desk for
many of them. They find it an amazing solution for internal connectivity
that allows their IT staff maximum control of services and bandwidths to
each user.

As to the home, the particular brand we use has a patent for satellite over
fiber. Basically, a user can get his standard fee channel or paid channel
satellite without investing in a dish and having to cable. HD TV still
hasn't caught on much in Bahrain so that's a few years away. Still, I'd like
to see it go there. I love my HD T V and I'd love service on it ;)

Anyway, the point is the bandwidth is there. I'm of the view that once the
bandwidth is there, the users will invent their own uses for it. Like
gaming. This is starting to pick up like wildfire here. There are many 'VAS'
license holders that run game servers and charge for them. Previously,
they've not been successful because the bandwidth wasn't there. Now, PON is
making that a reality for a lot of users with no incremental cost or
bottlenecks.

Salman, has Qtel deployed anything in the PON area yet? I remember when we
talked last there were plans.

Fahad.