[menog] RE: [ncc-regional-middle-east] Peering

Salman Al-Mannai SMANNAI at qtel.com.qa
Tue Jul 31 12:38:47 GMT 2007

Hello Everyone,

May be I'm entering this discussion late, but to answer Kais question on
'peering activities among the GCC'?

-          Yes, there was an attempt to progress this particular project
under the umbrella of the GCC council, results; even though modest, but
encouraging. Initially Qtel (Qatar) and Etisalat (UAE) then Bahrain-UAE
and so on, however, don't know if anyone has peered with Saudi Arabia as
part of the scope.

-          The initial proposal, as put together by Saleem (hope he is
on this mailing list) suggested two options: Centralized Model and
Distributed or Bilateral, the above was according to the later.

-          On the centralized model, the obvious locations for an IX
are:  Dubai-UAE and Jeddah-KSA primarily due to the global FO
availability.

On the other parts of the discussion:

Unless enough contents are exchanged, the peering (via an IX -
preferably) will not be cost effective, where I feel  efforts will have
to be exerted in order to attract major contents providers to be around,
I know for sure some are already looking for an opportunity to mirror
their contents in the region.

One more note; Abeers announcement is a great one, thank you Abeer, this
is in-line with one of the proposals that was put forward during
Menog-1, whereby not just one but multiple exchange points are set-up
which jointly form a middle-east wide Internet Backbone.

Regards