[menog] Cable Cuts & Reduction of Future Operational Impact.

Prof. Robert Mathews (OSIA) mathews at hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 5 06:00:28 GMT 2008

Abdulrahman Al Marzouqi wrote:

> [ ..... ]
>
> However this does not stop us from discussing best practices in handling such situations, by focusing on Internet Service Providers. It would be a good idea if someone could share to others (in the next MENOG), strategies and practices in avoiding these disasters and handling them once they occurred.
>
> Regards,
> Eng. Abdul Rahman Al Marzouqi
> Telecommunication Regulatory Authority
>
> P. O. Box:         116688, Dubai, UAE
> Tel:                   (+971) 4 42 88888
> Dir:                   (+971) 4 42 88883
> Fax:                  (+971) 4 42 88800
>                       www.tra.ae

Hello:

I wish to point out by way of offering certain clarification that there
exists - a need for distinct approaches here, delineated either by one's
mission emphasis, domain of operational influence or both.  By this, I
mean to suggest that 'infrastructure owners' will need to employ a
different sort of strategy than those who are merely 'operators.'
Naturally, in some parts of the world, owners are also operators;  where
still another strategic orientation must exist.

All the best,

Robert Mathews
University of Hawai'i
--/
* Robert Mathews, Ad.PD, D.Phil.
* Distinguished Senior Research Scholar -
* National Security Affairs & U.S Industrial Preparedness
* University of Hawai'i (OSIA)
* E.mail: mathews at hawaii dot edu