[menog] strange redirect with news site

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Tue Jul 21 19:30:29 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:40:51AM -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Richard Barnes wrote:
> >I can confirm that the same thing is happening from the US (Maryland).
> >
> >I got the same redirect after clicking the one Ha'aretz link on the
> >front page of news.google.ca (the second or third time), but haven't
> >been able to observe it since to collect any more information.

whew.  i was starting to think maybe i had a local problem.

> I cannot confirm this. However, it is quite possible that malware was
> installed on the site by a bot; that
> will definitely trigger these google warnings.

note: i didn't get any warnings from google, or anything for that matter.

i had a private email from the provider for the newspaper, and provided him
with the URLs (from my history) for the site redirected to.

i do note that on the newspaper page, there are ads via googlesense, but also
some ads by another firm.  i suggested that something might have been
embedded in the ads.

--jim