[menog] Asia-Pacific IPv4 address depletion, Middle East next

Owen DeLong owend at he.net
Sat Apr 16 16:03:41 GMT 2011

Ripe has 3.93. AfriNIC has 3.92, LACNIC has 3.94, and ARIN has 8+.

Given that, combined with the likely portability of APNIC demand to the
RIPE region, I don't think RiPE community is last, I think you are next.

(I think APNIC demand will also be somewhat portable to ARIN region
as well and accelerate consumption there).

Pure IPv6 may or may not be practical, but, the reality is that if you can't
get IPv4, you don't really have a lot of choices. Frankly, I agree that
deprecating IPv4 will probably not start until at least 2015. That's not
what this is about. What this is about is what portion of continued
and sustained internet growth can include real IPv4 connectivity
and for how long.

There's a wall right in front of us. We're continuing to step harder on the
gas pedal and lots of people seem to be pretending the wall isn't there
just because it disappears when they close their eyes.

IPv6 is fairly easy to deploy along side IPv4. Yes, there are issues, but,
the sonner you deploy IPv6, the fewer issues you will have and the sooner
you will get them identified and resolved.

Owen