[menog] Asia-Pacific IPv4 address depletion, Middle East next

Owen DeLong owend at he.net
Sun Apr 17 16:55:04 GMT 2011

On Apr 16, 2011, at 11:40 AM, Ahmed Abu-Abed wrote:

> A few observations,
>
> a. RIPE is next, but the date is currently unpredictable as we are in a unique situation where both IANA and APNIC pools are depleted, an unprecedented event, and the effect of this is unknown. It could be as early as June 2011 or as late as Q1 2012.

I would argue that if you follow previous allocation rates, it comes pretty close to July 2011. If it accelerates (as it did in APNIC
region), that could be significantly earlier. I'm not sure what you think about the current unique situation would possibly cause
the consumption rate to slow so much as to move the date out to next year.

Finally, remember, Geoff's rather rosy predictions make no allowance whatsoever for the portability of demand. (The ability
of organizations with presence in multiple regions to obtain addresses from any or all of the applicable registries).

> b. RIPE's pool of available IPv4 addresses is shown below, but note that practical depletion happens once RIPE reaches 16.7 million addresses as this means they hit the last /8 block which has extremely restricted allocation policies (like APNIC):
> http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/ipv4-exhaustion/ipv4-available-pool-graph

Right... I'll also note that APNIC's current depletion state is exactly that. This merely reduces the amount of space
that needs to be consumed before referring to RIPE as exhausted from 3.93 to 2.93 /8s worth of space.

> c. IPv6 deployment at the ISP needs to be done a phased approach. First the core & connectivity, then provide access over tunneling to end users, then work on the rest of the network to get it dual-stack end-to-end. In the meantime if IPv4s are in short supply (depends on the ISP) then a parallel project is needed to phase out dependency on public IPv4s consumption by end users.

All of this is certainly a logical approach. However, I think that if ISPs are not already moving aggressively on such an approach, then, it is
likely to get overtaken by events which will, in turn, cause significant disruption.
> d. Migrating from IPv4 to IPv6 and running both IP stacks in parallel, while having an upcoming shortage of IPv4 and a lot of IPv4 content and websites, is not the same as implementing pure IPv6. It is a more complex job which needs careful planning by the ISP.

I don't agree that it is more complex than running pure IPv6 in the current environment. I do agree that it is more complex that running
IPv6 alone in an idealized environment where there are not any important IPv4 only resources remaining, but, unfortunately, the large
number of multilateral dependencies involved in changing from the current situation to that situation makes me think that will take
a substantial amount of time.

Failing to provide IPv4 access services of some form will likely be considered an unacceptable business decision by most ISPs.

However, failing to at least add IPv6 capabilities will also become an untenable business decision fairly soon. The difference is
that IPv4 is a well understood and highly visible requirement now. IPv6 is writing on the walls, but, not everyone reads it the
same way as yet. I postulate that if you wait until you are losing customers for failing to deploy IPv6, you are likely to have suffered
a pretty serious impact to your business by the time you can deploy it.

> Depletion is real and is happening all around us. ISPs need to start v6 migration now, dedicate staff and funding, and implement a phased approach.

We agree on virtually every point here. I think the only place where we have some difference is in the level of urgency and the perspective
on how quickly some of these "phases" may e overtaken by external events.

Owen