[menog] Removal of posting from MENOG mailing list archive

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Feb 3 17:29:09 GMT 2011

On 2/3/11 12:12 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2011, at 11:18 AM, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
>
>> Bill, Colleagues,
>>
>> The OEDC released an initial estimate of the loss to the Egyptian economy due to the government initiated denial of service event.
>>
>> Using the 3% to 4% estimate for telecomms and datacomms in the GDP, the OEDC came up with an estimate of 90 million dollars (65
>> million euros) in lost revenues (18m$/day, 13mE/day).
>>
>> As the earlier poster observed, large businesses were affected, the call center industry in particular.
>>

> A columnist at Forbes thinks that this is an underestimate, which I would be inclined to agree with.
>
> http://blogs.forbes.com/parmyolson/2011/02/03/how-much-did-five-days-of-no-internet-cost-egypt/

I'm watching General Omar Suleiman's interview live on Al Jazeera (who
he goes out of his way to criticize) who's cited a $1bn number for the
loss of tourism alone.

Good to see numbers for the call centers -- $3m/day, as I didn't have
that.

The CityNet (Ramadan City), ECC (6 October City), EgyptNetwork
(Mansura), and ECC, MEIX, LINKdotNET (Cairo) data centers are all
looking at difficulty attracting tenants.

I expect that new gTLD applications that propose to operate in the
Arab region will minimally propose a secondary outside of Egypt,
despite the connectivity importance of the Suez - Alexandria corridor,
and may propose both primary and secondary outside of Egypt, despite
the size of the market.

Thanks for the pointer to Forbes.

Eric