[menog] EMIX experiences?

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Mon Mar 21 21:32:34 GMT 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 01:57:32PM -0700, Bill Woodcock wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:
> > I'm wondering impressions people have of EMXI.  I can't tell from the
> > their website whether they're an exchange or a transit provider.
> > Their website says that they facilitate peering, but it's not clear to
> > me how that works -- can I talk BGP directly with my peer, or does it
> > all go through EMIX?
>
> My information may not be 100% up-to-date, but historically, EMIX has been Etisalat's international transit gateway product, not an Internet exchange in the generally-accepted sense of the phrase.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_exchange_point

a number of years ago i tried to get similar answers, while actually living in
Dubai, and never got anywhere.

i think bill is correct, although, i was never able to find a sales person
willing to sell me an EMIX connection.

it is sad really, because the UAE is well positioned to run a good sized
and well connected exchange.

--jim

--
Jim Mercer        jim at reptiles.org        +1 416 410-5633
You are more likely to be arrested as a terrorist than you are to be