[menog] MENOG 8: Thank you

Salman Al-Mannai SMANNAI at qtel.com.qa
Wed May 25 19:40:34 GMT 2011

Hi,

I don't know if I should consider myself a contributor or intruder :) it has been a long time.

I see you guys reconsidering MENOG-9 location!!!

I see the search for a place is becoming a matter of live or die for the MENOG!, a situation that I'm not at all happy to see, there are quite few places in the Middle East that are still

Countries to avoid: Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Pakistan, Syria and Yemen
Countries hosted MENOG in the past: Bahrain, Kuwait, Lebanon, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and UAE.
Countries require visa (Complex): Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan (former Soviet Union).
Potential Countries with simplified Visa requirement: Egypt, Jordan and Oman.

We might as well look at the greater Middle East and consider; Algeria, Cyprus, Djibouti, Libya, Morocco, Somalia, Sudan and Tunisia (part of AfriNIC territories).

Algeria, Djibouti, Libya, Somalia and Sudan :( are not the place for anyone to be at, unless you wear a bullet proof vest :) which leaves Tunisia, true the situation is not pleasant at the moment but it is improving at faster rate than expected, and if the election is a success by July then the situation will be very attractive, primarily due to the following:

1. The country is highly affordable (hotels cost from 100-150 euro on the average).
2. There are 3 operating telecom providers.
3. Can also be blessed by the AICTO (Arab ICT Organization).
4. Highly accessible by all middle east countries (Visas are not required for most countries, for those who require a visa it is very simple).

What remain is the 'territory' issue, which in my opinion can be solved if RIPE and AfriNIC hold a joined regional meeting.

Next, of course, is Egypt, the political situation is still moderate, but if Cairo is avoided (perhaps we should consider Sharm-El-Sheikh or Alexandria) for better security it might be attractive.

Morocco is way too far for some participants otherwise has high potential.

In short the places to be considered (order of listing matters): 1. Jordan, 2. Oman, 3. Tunisia, 4. Egypt, 5. Morocco.

Best Regards