[menog] Internet Service Blocking and Filtering

Richard Barnes rlb at ipv.sx
Mon Oct 21 18:39:30 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues,

I've been working with the Internet Architecture Board on a document that
describes technical considerations regarding the blocking and filtering
Internet services.  Since I know there are several experts on the topic in
this community, I thought I would forward it in case anyone had comments.

The document can be found at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-filtering-considerations-04

Abstract:

   The Internet is structured to be an open communications medium.  This
   openness is one of the key underpinnings of Internet innovation, but
   it can also allow communications that may be viewed as undesirable by
   certain parties.  Thus, as the Internet has grown, so have mechanisms
   to limit the extent and impact of abusive or objectionable
   communications.  Recently, there has been an increasing emphasis on
   "blocking" and "filtering," the active prevention of such
   communications.  This document examines several technical approaches
   to Internet blocking and filtering in terms of their alignment with
   the overall Internet architecture.  In general, the approach to
   blocking and filtering that is most coherent with the Internet
   architecture is to inform endpoints about potentially undesirable
   services, so that the communicants can avoid engaging in abusive or
   objectionable communications.

Please send feedback to me, the co-editors (on the CC), or the IAB (
iab at iab.org, who will be ultimately responsible for publication or not).

Thank you very much,

--Richard