[menog] New Arabic TLD and idea's popularity

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Oct 28 00:04:58 UTC 2013

On Oct 27, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Fahd Batayneh <fahd.batayneh at icann.org> wrote:
> There have been discussions within New gTLD applicants on whether to encourage New gTLD registrants (once these new gTLDs are delegated and are generally available) to advertise their online presence using “www” in front of the URL or not; i.e. www.menog.anything vs. menog.anything. For those who might not know, the inventor of the term “www” in front of URLs has admitted that such an addition was a mistake in the first place. Yet, after thorough discussions, those involved have concluded that in order for people to understand whatmenog.anything is, it is best that “www” is added in front of the URL for advertising purposes. I believe this to be the case for IDNs we well; i.e. some just don’t understand whatمثال.اختبار is.

Fahd:

Interesting thoughts, I hadn't even considered the matter before.  Do you think people would recognize "https://menog.anything" or "https://مثال.اختبار" for that matter?

I may be revealing deep ignorance here, but has anyone considered an Arabic transliteration of "http" and "https" for use with Arabic IDNs, or gone down the path of getting browser writers to support it?

                                -Bill