[menog] New Arabic TLD and idea's popularity

Fahd Batayneh fahd.batayneh at icann.org
Mon Oct 28 17:12:33 UTC 2013

Thanks Ahmed.

Being the previous ccTLD / IDN ccTLD Manager of both Jordanian TLDs (.jo and .الاردن), I can confirm that lack of marketing is one of the main reasons Jordan’s IDN ccTLD has not gained interest. This is the case in some other Arab countries.

I do agree though that writing Arabic transliterated domain names (such as “Tamkien”) becomes an issue when trying to spell it out (one has to make many guesses, or ends up using a search engine). It becomes much easier when writing in Arabic تمكين.الاردن, though.

Fahd