[menog] FW: Call for Participation - Latin Generation Panel

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Aug 7 21:35:01 UTC 2015

Dear Fahd, and others subscribed to the MENOG (Middle East Network
Operators Group) mailing list,

As anyone who has used the limited keyboard common to cell phones knows,
it can be more convenient to write in ASCII, and left-to-right, when the
device does not (correctly, or currently) support right-to-left text
input, and character repertoires other than ASCII.

For this reason, I write to you to share with you my personal view that
Arabic Chat Script [1] is a Latin Script, that mnemonic identifiers are
formed using Arabic Chat Script, and valid DNS labels may be formed
using Arabic Chat Script, associating some identifier with some
underlying resource at some host, via the DNS.

It is my hope that one or more individuals who are regular users of
Arabic Script, and who are also regular users of Arabic Chat Script will
offer to assist ICANN's Latin Generation Panel activity .

Thank you all for your very valuable time.

Eric Brunner-Williams, co-chair
Eugene, Oregon

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_chat_alphabet