[menog] [IANN News Alert] ICANN Statement Regarding IANA Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)

Fahd Batayneh fahd.batayneh at icann.org
Tue Aug 18 06:47:04 UTC 2015

For those interested in the IANA Stewardship Transition.

Fahd Batayneh

ICANN

Sent: Monday, August 17, 2015 10:08 PM
Subject: ICANN News Alert -- ICANN Statement Regarding IANA Intellectual
Property Rights (IPR)

 <http://www.icann.org/> ICANN

News Alert

https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-08-15-en

  _____

ICANN Statement Regarding IANA Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)

ICANN supports the IANA Stewardship Transition Group (ICG) proposal and the
underlying proposals from the Community Working Group (CWG), the Consolidated
RIR IANA Stewardship Proposal (CRISP) team and the Planning for the IANA/NTIA
Transition (IANAPLAN) working group.

The ICANN Board is focused on how to implement the Intellectual Property
Rights (IPR) component of the proposal. The Board believes that for stability
and pragmatic operational reasons, the IANA Functions Operator must have
operational control over the IANA.ORG <http://iana.org/>  domain.

During the transition, ICANN is prepared to transfer full ownership of the
IANA-related trademarks to a neutral third party mutually agreed among the
operational communities with the understanding that ICANN, as the current IANA
Functions Operator, will be granted license to those trademarks and ICANN will
maintain operational control of the IANA.ORG <http://iana.org/>  domain for as
long as ICANN remains the IANA Functions Operator.

If the transfer during the transition affects the timeline, we advise delay
until after the transition. In that event ICANN is ready to hold the IPR as
interim measure but commits to transfer it within 120 days after the neutral
third party is identified by the operational communities.

We believe this is neutral and in the public interest. We look forward to
hearing from anyone in the community.