[menog] Fwd: [request]: host a probe for v6 measurements

Michael Oghia mike.oghia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:57:07 UTC 2016

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bajpai, Vaibhav <v.bajpai at jacobs-university.de>
Date: Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 3:54 PM
Subject: [request]: host a probe for v6 measurements
To: "ipv6-ops at lists.cluenet.de" <ipv6-ops at lists.cluenet.de>
Cc: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <v.bajpai at jacobs-university.de>

Dear v6ops,

We are (again) looking for volunteers with native IPv6 lines at home to help
us in our v6 measurement research.

Background
----------

We are interested in measuring IPv6 performance from home. Our measurement
tests come bundled with a SamKnows probe.  We currently have ~80 SamKnows
probes deployed over the globe. The google map [a] shows where these probes
are currently deployed.

[a] https://goo.gl/Jhz49o

|------------------------+------|         |----------+------|
|  RESIDENTIAL           |  55  |         |  RIPE    |  42  |
|  NREN / RESEARCH       |  11  |         |  ARIN    |  29  |
|  BUSINESS / DATACENTER |  09  |         |  APNIC   |  07  |
|  OPERATOR LAB          |  04  |         |  AFRINIC |  01  |
|  IXP                   |  01  |         |  LACNIC  |  01  |
|------------------------+------|         |----------+------|

This is the distribution of our current deployment by network type and by
RIR
region. Please see [b] for more details:

[b] http://goo.gl/PwD4yN

Request
-------

If you receive native IPv6 at home (or know someone who does), it would be
great if you can host a SamKnows probe for us. The probe will run standard
SamKnows tests and our IPv6 tests.  We prefer measuring from home networks
and
over a longitudinal period of time (say multiple years). Please see [c] if
you'd like to learn more about the SamKnows platform.

[c] http://vaibhavbajpai.com/documents/papers/proceedings/
lsmp-comst-2015.pdf

Action
-------

Let me know if you’re interested, and I can share details on how to get the
probe to you. We only have limited number of SamKnows probes. We will
process
the requests on first come first serve basis.

Would be nice if you can share these details in your response:
- v4 and v6 ASN (or provider name)
- location (city-level granularity)
- network type (see above table for an example)
- shipment address

Research Impact
---------------

For more details, please see:

Measuring Web Similarity from Dual-stacked Hosts
Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM) 2016.
http://vaibhavbajpai.com/documents/papers/proceedings/
dualstack-simweb-cnsm-2016.pdf

Measuring the Effects of Happy Eyeballs
Applied Networking Research Workshop (ANRW) 2016.
http://vaibhavbajpai.com/documents/papers/proceedings/
dualstack-he-anrw-2016.pdf

Measuring YouTube from Dual-Stacked Hosts
Passive and Active Measurement Conference (PAM) 2015.
http://vaibhavbajpai.com/documents/papers/proceedings/
dualstack-youtube-pam-2015.pdf

IPv4 versus IPv6 - Who connects faster?
IFIP Networking Conference 2015.
http://vaibhavbajpai.com/documents/papers/proceedings/
dualstack-tcp-networking-2015.pdf

Thanks
------

Thank you so much for helping us in our research activity.

-- Vaibhav

Vaibhav Bajpai
www.vaibhavbajpai.com

Postdoctoral Researcher