[menog] [Invitation] Domain Names for Non-Techies | Muscat, Oman | Tuesday 18 April 2017 | 05.00 - 10.00 UTC
fahd.batayneh at icann.org
Wed Mar 29 11:01:58 UTC 2017
Friends and Colleagues,
The Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) of the Sultanate of Oman and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) will be organizing a half day workshop entitled “Domain Names for non-Techies” on Tuesday 18 April 2017 at 09.00 – 14.00 (Oman Standard Time) at the TRA premises, Airport Heights, Seeb, Muscat.
The workshop is tailored for attendees who are non-Technical, and have limited exposure to the domain name industry. However, the workshop is open for anyone to attend.
The workshop intends to cover the following broad topics:
* A broad overview of the DNS ecosystem; both globally and regionally – This session will give a brief history on the domain name system, the business, the .COM boom, and where we stand today. It will also zoom-in on the regional domain name marketplace.
* The New Generic Top-Level Domain Name (New gTLDs) Program – This session will talk about the expansion of the domain name space starting from 2000 all the way to the 2012 New gTLD Program.
* Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) – This session will talk about domain names in non-ASCII languages (such as Arabic, Urdu, Farsi, Chinese… etc.).
* Legal Aspects of Domain Names – This session will cover some of the legal dimensions of domain names such as brand protection online, resolving disputes, the New gTLD Program and the defensive mechanisms that revolved around it such as the trademark clearinghouse and the Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS).
* Technical Aspects of Domain Names – This session will touch upon the technical aspects of domain names. It will also cover security aspects, all in a non-technical and easy-to-understand manner.
The workshop intends to cover the above topics to give attendees a better view of how the domain name landscape looks, how to deal with different issues pertaining to the domain name industry and domain names, and business opportunities that exist. It is also an opportunity to meet with different players of the industry as representatives from the .OM registry, ICANN staff, and some legal experts will be in presence to deliver the different sessions.
Target audience can be anyone who has personal or professional interest in domain names, and this includes; but not limited to, academic students, government representatives working on domain names as part of their work portfolio, domainers, private companies and brand owners, legal firms, banks and financial institutes, insurance companies, registrars and resellers, and others.
In this regard, you are cordially invited to attend this workshop or nominate someone from your organization to attend. Attendance is free of charge, yet those interested in attending are highly requested to RSVP their interest to non-tech at tra.gov.om<mailto:non-tech at tra.gov.om>.
Please note that remote participation is not available, unfortunately.
We look forward to seeing you at the workshop.
Manager, Global Stakeholder Engagement, Middle East
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
E: fahd.batayneh at icann.org<mailto:fahd.batayneh at icann.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Menog