[menog] Sustainability at RIPE 75

Michael J. Oghia mike.oghia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 09:06:36 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

Earlier this year, I began the endeavor to build bridges between the
Internet governance / infrastructure community(ies) and the sustainable ICT
academic and research community. In many ways, current Internet technology
is not sustainable. This relates to overall lack of design consideration of
ICTs for sustainability (such as recycling or energy scaling), and includes
issues such as pollution, electronic waste (e-waste), and energy use.

Dr. Mike Hazas was one of the first people who inspired me to do more work
in this field, and he was the keynote speaker at a EuroDIG roundtable
workshop on sustainable Internet access held in June. After the session, he
connected with members of RIPE NCC's external relations team who encouraged
him to apply for one of the academic fellowships (RACI) to attend RIPE 75
in Dubai, and I am delighted to share his presentation and lecture:

Mike Hazas, Lancaster University, UK
Internet Services and Energy Demand
https://ripe75.ripe.net/archives/video/154

I encourage everyone to continue to consider sustainability in all of its
forms going forward, and encourage discussions around this topic.

Thank you,
-Michael

Michael J. Oghia
#Netgov consultant & researcher | editor

Belgrade, Serbia
Skype: mikeoghia
Twitter <https://www.twitter.com/MikeOghia> *|* LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikeoghia>