[menog] [Paper] DNS Resolvers Used in the EU

Fahd Batayneh fahd.batayneh at icann.org
Tue Mar 8 09:23:48 UTC 2022

Friends and Colleagues,

I’d like to share a new paper with you authored by ICANN’s Office of the CETO entitled “DNS Resolvers Used in the EU”.

This study demonstrates a clear difference between enterprise and consumer behavior when it comes to DNS recursive resolver choice in the EU. Our analysis shows that different sized consumer ISPs serving different customer segments make different choices for DNS resolution.

In this paper we have proposed a few possible reasons for these variations. The numbers are changing over time. We did see an increase in the proportion of public resolvers used by consumers from 2021 to 2022. The ICANN OCTO Identifier Technology Health Indicators (ITHI) will define and track new metrics based on this study.

You can download the paper here >> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/octo-032-01mar22-en.pdf [PDF].

Happy reading.

Thank you,

Fahd Batayneh