[menog] RE: [ncc-regional-middle-east] Peering

Fahad AlShirawi fahad at 2connectbahrain.com
Tue Aug 7 18:47:08 GMT 2007

Osama,

I'll check. That was a very good presentation you gave on Saudi. By the way,
how has Bayanat's network changed since last MENOG? If it's not
confidential, share? We'd all like to see what's happening. Also, STC
doesn't really peer anywhere. They simply allow a Tier 1 into the country
for a revenue share. IP Transit is with Teleglobe, MPLS currently with AT&T,
Orange, FT, and Equant (Yes I know, the last three belong to the same
group).

It's actually not as bad a business model as it sounds. First of all, they
own the network. Saudi is huge. Maintaining a network the size of STC's
takes a lot. Secondly, they insure new services are available immediately
under their umbrella. It gives them time to develop their own in the future
without being at a huge competitive disadvantage. Finally, sunset clause
helps a little.

By the way, just a thought, has anyone run a reliability and performance
test between GCC countries? I'd love to test from our network to that of
ISPs in the region. I think it will give us a better picture than 'pictures'
on how our traffic is all being routed.

Also, what performance degradation do various levels of content filtering
introduce. Last point: Bill, you want to share with us your views on content
filtering?

Fahad.