[menog] PON

Fahad AlShirawi fahad at 2connectbahrain.com
Sun Aug 26 23:01:01 GMT 2007

Actually, I personally have reservations regarding WiMAX myself. At least as
what it's being sold to be. I don't see it as a replacement for wire-line
and broadband. It definitely will not compete in the large enterprise arena
either. Rural is of course always an option, WiMax or any other wireless.

However, WiMax, for me, is the true next gen mobile technology. I am not a
fan of hyping it up as the solution for broadband issues in the Middle East
or even  North America. I've seen two companies in Bahrain bid for WiMax and
get it. Out of those two, the one who paid the higher amount was the one who
did NOT overpay in my view. The other. Well, I think they overpaid by a lot.

My reasoning: The first is a mobile operator (MTC). They'll use Bahrain as a
test bed for WiMax and mobility. Very forward thinking. Very intelligent.
They'll of course provide broadband. It only makes sense to provide all
services possible on a single infrastructure. Yet their aim is the next gen
of mobile services mainly focused on consumer voice. Or to remove all the
'cool' words: Their aim is to reduce their spectrum costs as WiMAX spectrum
is significantly cheaper.

The other paid a total of 2.5 million dollars LESS and I think they
overpaid. Reason being is they are not allowed mobility. Even nomadic
services are a big question. For them, the only option is voice in a small
cell or fixed broadband. Maybe they'll eventually be allowed nomadic
broadband. But the value proposition is way under that of MTC's and so, like
for like, if I was to chose as a customer, MTC would be the natural choice.

In any case, thanks for the post. Should make a good reading for tomorrow
night (I'm nearly finished with tonight ;)).

Fahad.