[menog] Peering

Gaurab Raj Upadhaya gaurab at lahai.com
Tue Jul 31 08:49:11 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I think some of the discussion below is a bit confusing

In my scope of work, we refer to paying for access as 'transit' and if
it's free access to someone else' network - we refer to it as 'peering'.
If we have a BGP running with someone - just refer to it as 'bgp
session' - and this bgp session can be either paid or free :-).

So, from that definition- you can't ride over someone else's Layer3
network to 'peer' with someone else. You generally buy raw or layer 2
capacity and run the Layer3 yourself in order to peer at an IX.

for a gulf-wide IX and peering environment to succeed, I'd be more
interested to look at what transport providers are present across the
countries. I think this also refers back to Timo's like about not enough
capacity on the link.

WRT KSA, now if there are more than one international gateway, it makes
sense for a domestic traffic exchange.

thanks