[menog] IPv6 routing

Umair Mansoor umairbinmansoor at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 13 10:13:32 GMT 2010

Thanks to all..

From: ahmed at tamkien.com
To: umairbinmansoor at hotmail.com; menog at menog.net
Subject: Re: [menog] IPv6 routing
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:24:08 +0200

Dear Umair,

For roaming using a fixed
IP on WiMax with systems that are in service now, one should use
the MobileIPv4 standard which involves 3 nodes: Mobile Client, Foreign Agent and
Home Agent. The Foreign Agent is normally part of the WiMax ASN Gateway, and
many WiMax ISPs are providing this service already. On IPv6, mobility has a
different architecture and it does not need the Foreign Agent. IPv6
implementation is quite late for fixed networks, and even more late
for mobile networks.

An excellent tutorial that
covers important aspects of IPv6, including mobility, is at: http://www.6deploy.eu/e-learning/english/index.php

As for LISP, which is a draft
IETF protocol, I think it is trying to solve the issue of IPv4 routing table
growth with the shortage of IPv4 addresses and numerous /24 IPv4 address
assignments that lead to routing issues. IPv6 is designed for mobility and
simpler routing tables, has a practically infinite pool of addresses, and
should be able to work well in mobile setups with its current protocol
definition.

That said, I am glad to see
Hesham Soliman's contribution on this topic as he is an authority on
Mobile IPv6 and has written a book on the subject, check it out on
Amazon.

Regards,
-Ahmed