[menog] IPv6 routing

Ahmed Abu-Abed ahmed at tamkien.com
Fri Mar 12 21:24:08 GMT 2010

Dear Umair,

For roaming using a fixed IP on WiMax with systems that are in service now, one should use the MobileIPv4 standard which involves 3 nodes: Mobile Client, Foreign Agent and Home Agent. The Foreign Agent is normally part of the WiMax ASN Gateway, and many WiMax ISPs are providing this service already. On IPv6, mobility has a different architecture and it does not need the Foreign Agent. IPv6 implementation is quite late for fixed networks, and even more late for mobile networks.

An excellent tutorial that covers important aspects of IPv6, including mobility, is at: http://www.6deploy.eu/e-learning/english/index.php

As for LISP, which is a draft IETF protocol, I think it is trying to solve the issue of IPv4 routing table growth with the shortage of IPv4 addresses and numerous /24 IPv4 address assignments that lead to routing issues. IPv6 is designed for mobility and simpler routing tables, has a practically infinite pool of addresses, and should be able to work well in mobile setups with its current protocol definition.

That said, I am glad to see Hesham Soliman's contribution on this topic as he is an authority on Mobile IPv6 and has written a book on the subject, check it out on Amazon.

Regards,
-Ahmed