[menog] IPv4 depletion update

Maher El Zein mz-ccie at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 20:23:42 GMT 2010

Dear All,

The move to IPv6 should really very well tested before deploying in the Service Provider class networks, from few days I read an article from IPv6tf saying that many UK Service Providers failed on adding IPv6 in their existing network infrastructures because of unseen complications exactly on the security layer.

The best way to deploy IPv6 in Service Provider MPLS infrastructures is to add the IPv6 addresses only on the facing internet/WAN edges with encapsulating IPv4/IPv6 & Ipv6/IPv4 because currently there are really many complexities exactly on the distribution layer and security layer because most of the firewalls and intelligent security systems still not supporting advanced IPv6.

I found these articles interesting to read:

http://www.nojitter.com/blog/archives/2010/05/ipv4_internet_a.html;jsessionid=YHTTA4L3QZG3FQE1GHPCKH4ATMY32JVN

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/05/11/ipv4-exhaustion-d-day-draws-closer-as-uk-isps-fail-to-adopt-ipv6.html

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4244-broadband-providers-amp-router-manufacturers-failing-to-support-ipv6.html

Also, the IPv4 Exhaustion Counter: