[menog] IPv4 March 2011 depletion

Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 11:55:29 GMT 2010

Hello,

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com> wrote:

> 98% of customers won't even notice. 1% will consider it to be a security
> benefit.  The remaining 1% will pay more for a premium product with a real
> IP address.

I'm not so sure about this.  I think this is barely acceptable (more on this
below) in mobile broadband services due to the very limited nature of what
you can use your mobile for, which is basically e-mail checking and
http-only web access.

Fixed broadband is a completely different story, being a much richer
environment application-wise. Yes, people do P2P and will complain if it
does not work. Yes, people expect Skype to work and will complain when it
does not.

I said "barely acceptable" because even in mobile networks there is a trend
to move devices to public address space. Here in my country, all "mobile
broadband" services, that is, 3g modems you plug to a laptop have been moved
to use public IP addresses, while "mobile data access" services, that is
services that provide data access from your mobile are being kept behind
rfc1918 space.

Reasons for this are manyfold, and common consumer complaints about their
laptops being NATed is one of them.

regards

Carlos