[menog] IPv4 March 2011 depletion

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Nov 15 15:09:28 GMT 2010

> > Today we have:
> > (3) IPV6 and The Internet
> >
> No... Today, we have the IPv4 internet and the dual-stack internet. There are
> significant differences between (1)/(2) and what we have today.

What we have today is an utter mess. Why else do we have URLs like
http://ipv6.google.com/ or http://www.v6.facebook.com/ ?

Any communication between the V4 and V6 worlds is via application-layer
gateways, such as dual-homed MTAs, just like in the IP/X25 days.  It's true
that unlike X25, we also have the option of doing some layer 4
cross-connection using things like SOCKS or NAT64.

Regards,

Brian.