[menog] Re: EMIX experiences?

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Mar 22 08:43:50 GMT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 05:52:25AM +0300, Saad Alsalamah wrote:
> Currently we have multiple links going through EMIX. EMIX for us is an
> upstream provider, meaning we are peering with them directly like any
> international upstream providers

Perhaps there is some confusion in terminology here.

1. "Peering" means local traffic exchange, normally at no cost. In this
case, you give me routes to your network and customers, and I give you
routes to my network and customers, but neither of us accepts traffic
destined for the rest of the Internet (that would be "transit")

2. A "BGP peer" is a BGP neighbour, someone with whom you directly exchange
routes.  This could be with anyone - including a peer or a transit provider.

So if you point defaultroute at EMIX, or if you pick up a full Internet
routing table from them via BGP, then you are not "peering" with them.  They
are acting as your transit provider.

Regards,

Brian.