[menog] New Arabic TLD and idea's popularity

Fahd Batayneh fahd.batayneh at icann.org
Mon Oct 28 17:22:12 UTC 2013

Many of the ICANN Accredited Registrars do not take onboard all IDN TLDs in every language because their respective systems do not support them, or they have internal policies shelving them for the future. However, with the New gTLD hype and the 116 IDN gTLDs coming out soon, this will definitely change. For example, GoDaddy (as we all know, the largest ICANN Accredited Registrar with more than 40 million DUM) had none of the Arabic IDN ccTLDs onboard. However, when the first 4 gTLD contracts were signed, they agreed with one of the Arabic gTLD applicants to register domain names under that TLD. This means that they might work with ccTLDs in the region to sell domain names under their respective IDN ccTLDs.

IMHO, it is a matter of time before we see a revamped domain name industry.

My 2 cents.

Fahd