[menog] [Summary] U.S.ToTransferKeyInternetStewardshiptoGlobalCommunity

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun Mar 23 07:46:25 UTC 2014

Sezen,

On Mar 20, 2014, at 5:13 PM, Sezen YEŞİL <syesil at btk.gov.tr> wrote:
> Let’s accept that the oversight function has been required for such an important task.
> Then, may I ask what “private – bottom up governance” means? J

It means the policies by which the various resources are managed are derived from the users of those resources. I presume the "private" bit is meant to distinguish between private industry/civil society-derived vs. public governmental-derived, but will admit that I haven't seen the term 'private' used in this context.

The fact that policies are derived from the bottom up does not (IMHO) remove the need for some form of oversight to ensure that those policies are actually followed.

(BTW, personally, I think the term 'governance' is mis-applied when discussing what ICANN/IANA do.  I believe a better term is 'coordination')

Regards,
-drc