[menog] Microsoft offered $7.5M for Nortel's IPv4

Joe Provo jzp-menog at rsuc.gweep.net
Wed Mar 30 01:03:33 GMT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 01:40:14PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:

> >> Quite probably, but, I don't think that matters in terms of transfer policy.
> >
> > What I'm saying is: if they never signed an agreement with ARIN, then they
> > might not be bound by its rules.
>
> Nortel may or may not be bound by ARIN's rules, but, ARIN is the registry and
> as such, if you want a transfer recognized in the registry, you will need to conduct
> the transfer according to the policies present in the registry.
>
> Outside of the registry, anyone who wants to can run their own internet using
> whatever rules they choose to.
>
> Of course, what happens when one attempts to connect one of these other
> private internets to the IANA/RIR/RFC cooperating internet is rather vague
> and undefined and I leave speculations about such as an exercise for the
> reader.

That's interesting - I don't see a list of legacy asset holders who
have not executed the LRSA.  How is this community supposed to know
with which kids cuttings class we're not supposed to play?

Seriously, that position isn't congruent with the reality that
allocations existed before the current scheme of things.

--
         RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE / NewNOG